Information Technology (IT)
Information technology (IT) involves the utilization of computer systems and devices to acquire information, and it plays a significant role in our workforce, business functions, and personal information access, influencing a substantial part of our daily routines. Whether it’s storing, retrieving, accessing, or manipulating information, IT has a profound impact on our everyday existence.
Computer Technology & Communications Technology
Computer technology encompasses the processes of designing, constructing, and programming computer systems, whereas communication technology involves the activities related to designing, constructing, and maintaining communication systems
Role of IT in society
Information technology (IT) has become an integral part of our lives, revolutionizing various industries and everyday activities. IT contributes to business operations by offering technical support, advanced software solutions, and data-driven decision-making tools. It has also made communication faster and more accessible, benefiting both individuals and businesses. Nearly all sectors now rely on IT:
- Business: From manufacturing to human resources, businesses depend on IT systems for smooth operations. It helps with customer support, solving complex issues, and streamlining decision-making through data analysis. IT also enhances security and amplifies marketing efforts.
- Education: The rise of online learning platforms and digital tools has shown how IT can boost academic success. Universities and colleges are increasingly adopting IT for educational purposes.
- Finance: Online banking, transactions, and data management are now facilitated by IT. Financial institutions require IT for data security and accuracy due to the large volume of transactions they handle.
- Healthcare: IT has transformed healthcare by replacing pen-and-paper documentation with virtual systems. It streamlines patient data management, treatment protocols, billing, and consultations, leading to greater efficiency.
- Security: IT is crucial for securing sensitive data through encryption and password protection, preventing unauthorized access.
Turing machines serve as abstract concepts created to mathematically delve into the realm of computable problems and articulate methods for representing these computations. In contrast, the Von-Neumann architecture provides a blueprint for building real-world computers, which put into practice the theoretical principles outlined by the Turing machine.
More impact than any other invention
- “Computers have changed our world” or “Computers have changed the way we do”
- Changed work and leisure activities
- Used by all demographic groups
From 1984 to 2008
- Computer for Individual Use
- Computer for Organizations
- Computers in Society
- Makes businesses more profitable, Allows owners to manage and grow their companies
- Computers are used to design products Assembly lines are automated
- Necessary to track data for population Police officers Tax calculation and collection
- Revolutionized health care, New treatments possible
Input Devices of Computer
A piece of hardware/equipment that enables the user to enter data into a computer is called an input device. Some of the Commonly used input units used in a computer system are as follows:
- Light pen
- Track Ball
- Graphic Tablet
- Magnetic Ink Card Reader (MICR)
- Optical Character Reader (OCR)
- Barcode Reader
- Optical Mark Reader (OMR)
A piece of hardware/equipment that presents the result of the entered input, once it is processed, is called an output device. Several output devices display output in various ways such as images, text, hard copies, and audio/video.
Some of the Commonly used input units used in a computer system are as follows:
1. Monitor/Display Screen
6. Braille Reader